Today is Earth Day
What are you going to do to make a difference this year? Composting is an excellent way to reduce over 45% of your household waste and turn it into something that will be great to use in your garden.
Here are some quick tips:
- There are some easy activators that you can get for free to help kick start your composting. Coffee grounds are great.
- To get a real jump, approach a coffee shop and ask them to hold their coffee grounds for you from the entire day.
- Composting is really not as difficult as it is made out to be. In a nutshell you need a good mixture of layering of greens and browns.
- Greens include: fruit and veggies, green plants, weeds without seeds, coffee and tea
- Browns are fibrous and include: hair (dog hair as well as your own), dryer lint, string
- In betweens: Leaves and grasses are considered greens when first cut, but if they are allowed to dry, they then fit under the brown category. It is really a good idea to let grass clipping dry out before putting them into a composter as they become lighter, and will not squish the oxygen out.
- It is important to keep your composter moist like a wrung out sponge (40-60% moisture). By keeping it moist, you will not attract mice, ants or wasps to it.
- There are some easy activators that you can get for free to help kick start your composting:
- Coffee grounds are great. To get a real jump, approach a coffee shop and ask them to hold their coffee grounds for you from the entire day.
- Put one cup of very healthy soil in the composter
There should be no smell at all if the above conditions are met. For a detailed 13 page pamphlet on composting call Clean Calgary at 403-230-1443. Here’s to reducing waste and making some great compost for your garden. In gratitude for all you do to make this world a better place.