World Environment Day was on June 5, 2012. The video below is from a survey done of Calgarians with regard to what they were willing to do on Earth Day. Watch and see if you get any ideas for what you can do now and in the future to respect this amazing planet we live on. Sending sunshine and faery magic!
Recap from Video for World Environment Day:
- Reduce Energy Used – Lights off, Power off, etc
- Recycle – Start – Continue – Motivate Others
- Reduce Water Usage – Use Rain Barrel, Xeriscape
- Enviro Friendly Transportation – Bus, Bike or Walk to Work
- Plant – Trees, Vegetables, Flowers
- Compost – 45% of household waste is compostable
- Pick Up Garbage Outside
- Stop Buying Plastic Water Bottles – 1/2 billion plastic water bottles exist in Canadian dumps
- Switch to a Reusable Coffee Mug
Extra Ideas for World Environment Day
- Have a NO PRINT day at work
- Donate money
- Donate unused items
- Eat Organic
- Do Paperless Transactions
- Refuse to use Plastic Bags
- Spread the word about Earth Day!
Together we CAN make a difference. What will you do? Do you have any items to add to this list?
How was World Environment Day Started?
“This year sees the 40th anniversary of the event that led to the establishment of World Environment Day. WED, as it is often called, was established by the United Nations General Assembly to mark the start of the UN Conference on the Human Environment held in Stockholm from 5th to 16th June 1972. The first World Environment Day was on 5th June 1973.”
World Environment Day Host
Each year a different country hosts World Environment Day. This year it is Brazil and the theme is a Green Economy: Does it include you? According to the UN, a Green Economy “is one that results in improved human well-being and social equity, while significantly reducing environmental risk and ecological scarcities. This can be summed up as being a socially inclusive, low carbon economy that is efficient with its resources.” For more details, please visit: https://earthtimes.org/going-green/world-environment-day-2012/2029/